Hydrotherapy is exercising in water for therapeutic purposes. The exercises are designed to use the buoyancy and fluidity of the water to ease the pressure on joints, and to make all movements easier than on land.
Properties and advantages of hydrotherapy include:
• Buoyancy – Buoyancy opposes the force of gravity, allowing the body to move more freely and easily than on land.
• Decreased compression forces – The deeper one is in water, the greater the decrease in compressive or weight bearing forces on all joints, as well as the discs of the spine.
• Equal hydrostatic pressure on all submerged body parts – The pressure also increase with depth. This is helpful for swelling because the static fluid around joints is forced toward the heart by hydrostatic pressure.
• Safety – Weakness, joint or limb swelling, loss of motion or flexibility and overall loss of endurance are all safely addressed because of the above mentioned properties.
Everyone can benefit from exercising in water. It is especially effective for the following conditions:
• Back mobilization and strengthening
• Post-surgical rehabilitation
• Sports injuries
• Ante/postnatal care
• Geriatric conditions
It also helps decrease spasticity resulting from stroke, cerebral palsy, Parkinson’s disease or multiple sclerosis.
Speak to our hydrotherapy specialists to know more
For hydrotherapy in Dubai, you can visit the Osteopathic Health Centre in Umm Suqeim. At the OHC, a larger treatment plan incorporates hydrotherapy. Dubai patients need to book a consultation for a full assessment of their hydro therapy needs. Therapists from different disciplines may consult together to create a programme to specifically meet your needs.
You do not need to be able to swim to benefit from hydrotherapy. Our pool has three levels of depth to accommodate different needs. Flotation devices are used for patients who are anxious about being in water.
All our hydrotherapy sessions are run by qualified rehabilitation specialists and physiotherapists, including